Thursday, November 8, 2012

Opening Night

The Mystery of Edwin Drood opened last night at Georgetown University Law Center. Mike's mom was visiting so I rushed to meet up with her as soon as I got off work. Mike's mom and I reminisced and there was a very hilarious typical Kelsey moment when Leslie was telling me about her day and I mistook the word valet for ballet leading me to interpret a very different story from the one she was telling and to go off on a tangent about my own personal ballet experience. It had been a long day.

Anyway, I got pinned as an usher with my official usher badge and there was even free wine and beer for audience members. Last time I saw Mike and his friends in a play, I was just beginning to get to know them. Now that they are basically family, it made the show that much more amazing. I laughed throughout the entire show and so did everyone around me. Mike was voted the role of the detective and sang a solo (thanks to overwhelming audience favor due to his campaigning prior to the show), Jessie was voted as the murderer, and Emily and Meg were the lovers. I can't wait to see if the audience vote changes each night!

Favorites from the show:

  • Hair/Makeup/Costumes! Sara did an awesome job on hair and makeup and anyone else involved did incredible work. 
  • I love the songs Writing on the Wall and Perfect Strangers. 
  • Josh Litten.
  • The audience! The audience was great last night and the actors really help to put everyone at ease and make it a really awesome interactive experience.


I thought it would be do-able to usher and see the show every night/hang out with everyone after while also waking up to go to work each morning. It has proven very difficult. Every night of the show seems like such a rush of adrenaline, but this morning I was so tired I could cry. I don't know how the people who are actually in the show do it and all of them have full-time jobs or are in law school.

Anyway, if you're in the DC area, you can still get tickets for Thurs-Sat shows. All are at 8pm on the GULC campus. I will be ushering for all of them.

Link to tickets: http://www.goldstar.com/events/washington-dc/the-mystery-of-edwin-drood

Hopefully I'll have show pictures to add later!

1 comment: