Sunday, December 29, 2013

Countdown to 2014

I owe you all a Christmas recap. I'm sure I'll get around to that once I catch my breath...maybe Wednesday. Right now i have more pressing thoughts and not a lot of time to reflect on December. Is it really almost January? How did that happen? I'm currently at the gym, blogging on my phone, and in a few hours I'll be leaving for a few days in the mountains of Va reuniting with college friends (as is traditions every New Years Eve). You may remember (if you know the story) that Mike and I met December 30, 2011 while I was on one of the annual reunion trips in DC. Last year was his first official year coming on the annual trip and the time turned into an unofficial anniversary celebration of sorts. It hard not to reminisce about our story because it is a great one and involved a lot of wingmanning. (I shared the story with Mike's mom and sister this weekend and I'm glad they think it is as hilarious as I do.)

This year Mike cannot make it. He will fill you all in on his blog whenever he gets a chance which may take a while. Basically, more roadblocks were hit in the medical clearance process with Jag and  as sort of a last option, he is getting surgery on his ear on Dec. 31st. He was very fortunate his doctor (and very experienced  surgeon) ended up having an opening. The next available date was late January and these things are very time-sensitive given that he will have to wait a pre-determined amount of time post-surgery before reconsideration and the likelihood of other job offers arising during that time. It was a very very complicated an difficult decision to continue to pursue something that has been such a trying process for us both, but especially him. Anyway, he has a friend to drive him back from surgery and I will return on the 1st.

This brings me to a list of things I am looking forward to in 2014:


  • Healthy ossicles! (the small misplaced bones in Mike's ear that will be fixed through his surgery)
  • Starting a new job! (Oh, right, I haven't had time to mention anywhere that I am starting a new position with an organization whose mission I'm passionate about and I believe the work will be fulfilling as well as help support me in my professional goals. I start on January 13th. It's so difficult to process right now in the midst of traveling 24/7, but hope to have another post on that soon. But, I'm incredibly excited!)
  • Disney! (Seeing Frozen in theaters got me even more excited to take this trip with Mike, Absi, Zan, Brian, and Kay; and I got the trip cleared with my new job!)
  • Seeing Book of Mormon in February with Mike and his mom! (I've been playing the soundtrack on repeat already.)
  • I'm turning 27 on January 4th!
  • Mike's done with law school! (And takes the bar and hopefully becomes a legit lawyer!)
  • 10-mile race!
  • Reading tons of books that I've bought recently:)
  • Allie (the kitten) hopefully growing out of her kitten phase where she eats everything (including toilet paper.)
  • Seeing Ashton turn 1!
There's so much to look forward to and I'm so excited for 2014 to get here. I have a feeling it's going to be a great year.

No comments:

Post a Comment