Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Lately: Earnest & Home & More Pictures

The Importance of Being Earnest

Last Friday evening, Mike and I saw "The Importance of Being Earnest" at The Lansburgh Theatre (this is the 3rd show of season subscription to The Shakespeare Theater Company). I had never seen the show on stage, but am a HUGE fan of the movie (with Colin Firth, Rupert Everett, Reese Witherspoon) and knew it was going to be a lot of fun. And I was right. The audience was laughing non-stop and one of my favorite parts was probably watching the audience respond to the jokes that I knew were coming up. It's like hearing them for the first time. I said 'watch' because Mike and I were lucky enough to have box seats (due to previous snowstorm cancellations) and it was such a luxurious way to watch a show! Although Oscar Wilde's genius comes out in any production, the real standout of this production for me was the set. There were only two sets the entire show (the interior of a city house and the English garden of a country house). When the curtain opened for Act Two displaying the English garden set, people literally clapped because it was so breathtakingly beautiful and realistic. It seriously looked like a movie set.

As The Washingtonian sums up the show: "The servants steal, the women fight, the men lie, all amid the most beautiful surroundings of an English country garden with more florals than a vintage Laura Ashley catalog."

Here's the rest of the Washingtonian review of the show for a more detailed critique.

Home

I went home this past weekend to say goodbye to my youngest sister Kim before she leaves for a temporary trip to the West Coast. She'll come back briefly in April and then leave again for a new job that starts on the West Coast that month. I was grateful to be able to hang out with her and Ashton some more. For dinner, we went to Applebees which is always the place to be in small towns, but it was also trivia night so you know it was crazy! Kim and I also got to play tennis on Sunday before I left. Here are some more pics from my trip.
Kim found this picture of us that we got done at a photo booth at the mall or something? I thought it was too hilarious not to post. This is back when Kim was still shorter than I am.

Ashton in the morning! Kim's hands make him look smaller than he actually is.
Ashton and I catching up on some emails:)
It's so hard to catch him smiling, but he does it all the time!
Right when I got home.
More Pictures

On a sunset run in DC back during our 3-day warm stretch.

Chicken quinoa stir fry I made. Proud that I cooked meat!


LOVE this quote so much. It's so easy to get caught up in a race for things that don't really matter.

I have some students on my caseload at the university I used to work at and got to visit my former coworkers last week!

Bright blue skies as a backdrop for the Capitol building.

It is always spring in the Botanical Gardens!

Beautiful. Botanical Gardens.

I played Ultimate Frisbee on Saturday and got absolutely soaked with mud, but it was a beautiful day and I scored the winning point sooooo worth it!





From my first Marc train trip to Baltimore this week. Not as hard as it seems, but still had to get myself a calming latte for the trip.

Dragonboats in the snow at Inner Harbor!

I'm hoping to get another post in before the end of this week or this weekend, but hope everyone enjoys their weeks!

1 comment: