Monday, June 25, 2012

Funemployment

I don't want to write a recap about the weekend just yet because I am still recovering and I am sad that it is over. It involved seeing all of my favorite people, a concert, and an all-out Disney costume party, though, so get excited for that post. I feel like I get so spoiled every weekend I visit up there, even when the traffic makes me never want to drive again.

In returning to the 'new normal' of what my summer has become, I am enjoying the pros and cons of what Josh framed for me as "Funemployment": a term I have latched onto because it makes it sound better than it is.

My Funemployment involves 4 main components: babysitting 2 young boys on Mondays and Wednesdays, teaching yoga, continuing GA tasks, and job applications. I am learning so much in each of these positions.

Babysitting: I had no experience babysitting boys prior to this summer. I grew up with two younger sisters and had no idea what I was getting myself into, but I learned very quickly some basic rules. 1) When in doubt, make explosion sounds. 2) Just let them tie you up sometimes. 3) I'm always the bad guy.....The only rule I have for the boys every day is "No lying". They break it every day mostly in the form of "Mommy always lets us ______!" No, I found out, Mommy does not let them have cookies for breakfast, have two sweets a day, play soccer in the house, etc.

Yoga & GA: I have greatly enjoyed my return to teaching yoga (3 times a week!), making my own playlists, and being forced to take out time for myself to be mindful. It really does make a difference and I believe works to combat some of the I-have-no-idea-where-my-life-is-going anxiety. They have also started phasing me out at my previous GA which included putting up the names of the new people who are going to start in the Fall. To ease me through the transition, they left my name on the office white board, and I greatly appreciate that.

Job Applications: Having gone through the lull and uncertainty of not having a job upon graduation before, I knew what to expect. I don't handle change well, and so I knew that patience and perseverance would have to become my new best friends. Still, I've developed a blurb to use for the dreaded "So what are you planning on doing now?" question. I'm "searching for jobs in the nonprofit, counseling, or higher education fields within the DC Metro Area." My lease ends at the end of July so if I do not have a job by then, I will find a new base of operation either at home or somewhere else convenient from which to keep persevering and patiencing.

My youngest sister who also just graduated (from undergrad) is also going through the job search process. She has started blogging here: http://kimhutcheson.blogspot.com/ and is clearly the more talented and artsy of us sisters.

Okay since I need a picture for this post, I will leave you one of how Rupert has been enjoying my funemployment.

Ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment