Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Weekends I Want to Relive Over and Over Again

I know I haven't posted in a while. But even though I have not been able to find the time or words to post about the past couple of weekends, they definitely need to be recorded.

It all started with:


  • June 22-24: I knew one of my favorite bands was playing this weekend in DC, but was so tired from driving up a lot that I was not planning on going UNTIL 1) I heard there was going to be a party for Davia's birthday which I knew I had to attend and 2) two other girls from Williamsburg were willing to carpool with me so the trip sucked less. P.S. the trip still sucked. We passed through probably 3 storms and past maybe 4 accidents. Worst drive ever.
    • Paper Route at The Red Palace
So glad I made the decision to come up because it meant I got to see these guys in action. As soon as I got off the metro on Friday, I met up with Mike, his friend Megan, and had dinner with them both. Then Mike 'surprised' me by saying he was coming to the concert too and we met up with Kelly, Jake, and Alex at Dangerously Delicious Pies before heading over.

Paper Route



    • Davia's Disney Party
I spent Saturday prepping for Davia's epic Disney Party with Noah, Davia, Josh, Sara, and Goo. This mostly involved me trying to help Noah bake cakes, but losing patience and focus whenever a new disney movie from the marathon of disney movies was put in. Plus, I knew I had to transform into Tinkerbell (casting by Goo) and that it wasn't going to be easy. With help from Sara who gave me Tink hair and makeup and all of the people who kept fixing my wings all night, I feel like I was a pretty good Pink Tink. Mike was Captain Hook. Other highlights of the night include......well, everything was a highlight. Pretty much every person, every costume (especially Gaston), every new friend, every side dish was a highlight. It was the best of parties.

Tink and Hook

  • June 29-July 1
    • Murder Mystery Dinner Party
Saturday Mike and I went to see a movie to beat the heat, and that night, Davia hosted a Murder Mystery Dinner party in which I was supposed to be a French socialite from the 1940s. So um...I completely forgot the 1940s detail, but I think I saved my character with my authentic French accent, right? I said 'oui' a lot. The dinner (by Sara, Davia, and Noah) was just amazing. Highlights include me introducing the group to how danceable Flo Flo + The Machine is and oh my a chocolate pate.




Baby ducklings found on Sunday morning walk to the Kennedy Center, which has become a favorite routine for me. 

  • July 3-July 8: Because the 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays and fireworks some of my favorite things, I made an executive decision to drive up to DC for the holiday. Most of my 'executive decisions' involve polling a wide group of people as to what I should so then when someone advises me against my inclination, I get very rebellious and decide I'm going to do it anyway. Silly. So I ended up in DC for the Fourth and was going to drive the boyfriend back down with me that weekend.
    • FroYo
Immediately upon arrival in DC, Mike took me to get froyo from Sweet Green, which is a salad place, but I believe has the best froyo I've tried so far in the city. He knew this was necessary to destress me from the drive up. He is learning. Then we spent the rest of Tuesday evening hanging out with some of his friends who had become refugees at his apartment since they had lost power. Topics included yoga  and introducing Michelle to #WSWCM.
    • The Fourth
The next day Mike and I went on a run across the city. It was pretty early and still SO hot. He had my On-the-Go playlist and I got to listen to a Zombie running app on his phone which was supposed to scare me into running faster. Wimping out, I walked after about 20 minutes. But we got falafel from Amsterdam Falafel and that made everything better. Then we played putt-putt at a mini golf course that opened on the 4th in the National Building Museum, went to a cookout with deviled eggs, mojitos with basil, and orange and rhubarb pie (courtesy of Miss Reno), and I tried steak! Fireworks on the Mall were amazing and we met up with Mike's roommate David and girlfriend Shannan after for the LONG walk back to their apartment. (There was no getting on a metro.) We stopped to sit by a building with mysterious coolness to tease us and eventually made it back. Probably between 8 and 10 miles total for the day.
    • Zoo and Paella!
The next day Shannan and I got coffee together and checked out the entire National Zoo. This was the first time I'd done the zoo in its entirety since I was just a little tike visiting with my family.

 Elephant throwing dirt on himself for sunscreen.

Monkey. Just chillin. Loved this little guy.

After the zoo, Mike and I met up with Jeff and Sara for tapas in Chinatown. One word: Paella. Okay second word: Sangria. I seriously need to learn how to make some Paella though. The food and the company were amazing.


Funk/Jazz? band jamming out in Chinatown when we got off the metro. We noticed more than one person/couple bopping to the beat.
    • Williamsburg
Friday was the trek back to Williamsburg. The weekend's highlights included a screening of Independence Day (which I had been too tired to watch on the Fourth, but am still so grateful that happened), the farmer's market (which contributed tomatoes and goat cheese for tomato sandwiches and peaches for our cereal), and the Men's Wimbledon Final on Sunday morning! I am so sad Murray did not win, but I will always be a Federer fan first. Murray's post-match speech definitely got me teary-eyed, but I know he will eventually get this title.

Um, I think that was everything. Three weeks left in Williamsburg. I feel like I need a bucket list or something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment