Saturday, July 21, 2012

Quick Review of the Dark Knight (and how much I love southern food)

The plan was for Mike to come down Friday evening and see The Dark Knight Rises with me. I had already gotten us tickets for the 10:30pm showing at Movie Tavern (a movie theater you can also eat and drink at), but got a disappointing text from Mike at about 9:00pm about a 'freight train emergency' and that he did not know when he would arrive. Given that the theme of this past week has been #lessonsinpatience (I will not go into details), I decided I would simply get some coffee, wait for him, and hope for the best. It's not like this was going to be the only time for us to see the movie.


Fortunately, my patience paid off (and 'emergency' was an exaggeration, I believe). Mike arrived just in time for me to finish my cappuccino, us to get to the theater, him to order dinner (and me two glasses of wine), and us to see all of the previews! (Who cannot wait for Man of Steel and The Hobbit?.....THIS girl.)

My review of the movie is as follows. It is brief, so read between the lines. Though I would love Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Loved Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Thought I would hate Anne Hathaway. Didn't hate Anne Hathaway. Bane scared me. I left the theater having cried and covered my eyes on numerous occasion. I left satisfied. The end. Also of note: Mike surprised me with three different varieties of Dark Chocolate that night: sea salt, orange, extra dark. Sea-salted dark chocolate is the best.

Saturday (today) we traveled to his hometown of Burlington in hopes that he might renew his license and for us to visit with his family. I do not think renewing his license will be completely painless but, since I had nothing to do this weekend, I volunteered to tag along. Decisions I am proud of. His grandma happens to be the World's Best Southern Cook. Lunch was: crab salad, garden fresh tomatoes and cantaloupe, with whole wheat crackers. Dinner was: pinot grigio, ribs, squash casserole, corn, black-eyed peas, marinated tomatoes and cucumber, bread. Oh, and homemade peach cobbler with amaretto ice cream for dessert. I never want to leave.

Goals for the rest of my time in North Carolina: Use every spare minute to churn out job applications. Meet up with Sarah in Chapel Hill. Run to counteract most of the southern cooking I plan on inhaling.

Much love.



No comments:

Post a Comment