Monday, January 21, 2013

Twenty-Six! Everything has changed!

So a couple of weeks ago, I turned 26. Shockingly, my world didn't end. Instead, I got to have kebabs and TWO different kinds of cake (because it was Josh's birthday too) and tons of wine and celebrate with my best of friends. Jeff even let me use his house for this get-together because they have a grill and it's awesome! Kebab grilling is usually reserved for the beach, but Mike said it was okay to do it because it was a special occasion. Oh, the grilled corn tastes like summer. We also ate versions of kebabs for the two days after my birthday.

Josh and I even spent some time planning future joint birthdays:


10:14 AM 

  okay that will be our 30th birthday party then
  only junk food, only netflix, waiting for death
10:19 AM :)
10:22 AM Josh: Indeed.



Notable weekend adventures since the birthday:

  • The weekend before this past one, Mike and I got dinner with his mom at National Harbor which is super glitzy and schmancy. I was so excited to go to a sushi place because I have been constantly craving it since seeing Jiro Dream of Sushi on Netflix. (We actually had sashimi, but same difference.)
  • Mike, Kellex (whoops that's what I call Kelly and Alex sometimes, forgive me), and I got brunch at Sixth Engine. (Kelly is always reading about awesome brunch places on this one blog and here is their review of Sixth Engine.) We always have such an awesome time brunching with Kelly and Alex. They really know how to do it right. Kelly and I both ordered the omelette, Alex ordered the Duck Confit Scrapple, and Mike got the Short Rib Hash. All were awesome. I wasn't planning on ordering a cocktail, but they looked like they did cocktails really well and the waiter told me this (perfectly executed) story about how their Bloody Mary changed his life, so I had to order one. I was glad I did. I would venture to say their cocktails were even better executed than the food. I kind of want to go back and test that theory.
  • Mike and I went to see his friend in a renaissance dinner theater show called Medieval Madness. Old town Alexandria is so beautiful at night! The Renaissance Hall is a small business created and operated by a former veteran. All shows were sold out except for 9pm and I was so hungry by that time that I had no problem with the 'eat with your hands' part. The food was excellent: raspberry meade, rolls, cinnamon carrots, roast beef, chicken, and pound cake! The show was really fun, but I will say that it is probably more fun if you go with a larger group because seating is hall-style.
  • An 8-mile run/walk on the day before the inauguration. DC was so full and it was a bob-and-weave game, but Mike and I ran to Lincoln, TJ, and the Capitol. We even heard an artist rehearsing for the inauguration. Still trying to keep up my half-marathon training.
Now on to all of the pictures!

Brunch at Sixth Engine with our "Grown-Up Hot Chocolate" with spiced whipped-cream. Yum!

"Mike, look like you're excited for the renaissance show!"


I was supposed to make pancakes, but thank goodness Noah helped! We got pancakes and art! (The idea was that the surprise pancake smiley face would make Mike happy!)

A heartfelt Happy Birthday message on Mike's iPad which I've named Mickey (Doctor Who reference). 

Rupe being adorable and cuddly as always.

Mike found a hat and weights and this was the result.

So that's everything! I'm pretty much all caught up on holiday posts so hopefully my posts become more coherent and less a mish-mash of photos and events!

S

No comments:

Post a Comment