Monday, September 1, 2014

6.2 Awesome Miles & Mount Vernon

South Lakes 10K

Last weekend Mike and I ran a 10k in Reston to measure our progress after weeks of working out. (Mike got a gym membership from August to November and we've been taking full advantage of it.) We both did really well in the 10k. I averaged 8:50/miles for a finish time of 55:00 and Mike averaged 8:09/miles so we was quite a bit faster. Our new 3 mile loop route near the house is full of hills so I credit that for our fast times despite not running any training runs over 3 miles. Mike also made a playlist for us to both listen to full of songs from the Guardians of the Galaxy movie which just came out recently. If you haven't seen it yet, it has an awesome old school soundtrack.

Mike has another 'ruck' coming up this September and then we both signed up for The Parks 10k in the city in November. That route is supposed to be a lot faster and flatter so we're hoping for a good showing then.

We were both INCREDIBLY sore after the race and stayed dormant a few days to recover. I know I used to run half marathons, but right now my body can't handle the thought of 13 miles, for some reason.

Georgetown and Indian

This weekend Mike's mom came to stay with us and we had a great time showing her our new stomping grounds in Northern Virginia. We got to spend the better part of Saturday hanging out in Georgetown. Mike got to explore the apple store while Leslie and I looked around in BHLDN (Anthropologie's bridal shop where I had bought my wedding gown online). I felt affirmed in my purchase when all gowns comparable in style to mine were marked up far more than what I paid. They were all absolutely beautiful, though.

I got to have a little bit of the in-store bridal shopping experience via Leslie who was looking for dress to wear to the ceremony. There was even a "this is the one" moment and everyone kept congratulating her on the perfect dress find even as we were leaving the store! It was so much fun.

Before we left Georgetown, we of course had to stop and get some Pinkberry which I maintain is, yes the most expensive, but best yogurt I've had. I went for my normal combination of strawberries/almonds/coconut with tart yogurt.

Later that evening, we ventured to a place Mike and I have never been before for some Indian food. (We don't yet have our regular joints in Nova.) We shared champagne (celebrating the everyday!), goat curry, tandoori salmon, and salmon tikka masala with garlic naan and some pistachio/rice frozen dessert. Mike and Leslie both wanted to mango mousse, but I whispered to Mike that I actually don't like mango or mousse so they were nice enough to brave unknown frozen pistachio dessert for me:)

Mount Vernon and Thai


Mount Vernon estate

On Sunday, we had tickets to see Mount Vernon which was a wonderful way to spend a day! Although quite warm with an unforgiving sun, the breeze off of the Potomac River was cooling and the day was beautiful. We learned much about the founder of our country and that his integrity was probably his most valuable leadership trait.

Later that evening, we went to dinner at a nearby Thai restaurant with great reviews and had a fantastic meal of sweet & sour tofu, crispy basil duck, and chicken panang curry. It was great to have Leslie over for a few days to be able to show her around town.

Finishing The West Wing

Mike and I finished The West Wing and have a newfound void in out lives which we are trying to fill with new episodes of Once Upon A Time. But there is no replacing a Leo McGarry and let's just say that, for a while, I was trying to feel out Mike's thought incorporating the name Leo into a future child of ours.

I'm sure we've been watching The West Wing ever since shortly after we started dating and now just finished it. Because getting through series takes a lot of time, I've also recently ordered the book "Scarcity" for us to read together and share our perspectives on.

This Week!

I can't believe it's September. I really can't. This week marks the "official" start of my travel schedule to college campuses. Last week was basically triage time at the community colleges. Where did August go? My favorite season Fall is right around the corner and there are less than 4 months until Mike and I get married. Eep.

This week I'm looking forward to finding my new work groove for traveling and checking in with my students, having a lowkey Settlers, burgers, and beer night with Alex and Kelly, and having some quality date time with Mike. Fall always makes me want to go on dates:)

No comments:

Post a Comment