Friday, August 10, 2012

From DOG Street to Main Street

I am quickly re-learning what life in a small town is like. I am obviously only hoping to be here for a short short transitioning season of my life, but there are some really nice things about where I am right now.

I definitely missed the scenery.

Pretty storm blowing in.

I missed Main Street. My first weekend back in town Lauren and I decided to hang out at First Friday on Main Street together. First Friday is an event in many small towns where they close down Main Street and bring out local vendors/bands and keep restaurants open late to support local businesses. My mom also has her business on Main Street so she was staying late to volunteer. Everyone who knows my mom also apparently already knows me and, to avoid the awkward small talk that results from this, Lauren and I hit up free wine tastings, listened to a rock orchestra, and gossiped about high school. Oh, we also plotted how to get Megan to visit us. Lauren and I go way back to elementary school and were high school cheerleaders together. 

Bagpipers on Main Street! I think I have a thing for bagpipers.

Warrenton reminds me a little of Williamsburg even though Main Street is nothing like DOG Street. They do have a farmer's market there twice a week, though! The only thing I need to sustain me that Warrenton was really missing the last time I was there was a frozen yogurt place.......Well no more! One of my favorites (Sweet Frog) is now in Warrenton and it was packed when I went there. I got my usual (plain tart, strawberries, almonds, coconut) and then finally felt a little at home:) I also have a Frequent Frogger card!

The Usual

Saturday of last weekend I went to my dad's and saw my grandparents. It was a really nice visit. I went with my dad to get his hair cut. I feel like men don't often get hair cuts without a nudge from someone else in that direction. Then we went to Gold's Gym together and I gave him a little gym orientation and worked out with him some. My dad really wants to get back into shape and it was fun to get to show him some good exercises. This outing with my dad reminded me of a dream I want to see realized: one day I want to become a personal trainer and have my own counseling/personal training practice treating clients holistically. I think exercise and mental/social/vocational health are so connected that I'd love to start a service like that someday.

Sunday was my grandmother's birthday (mom's side). She turned 77! Ever since moving back to Warrenton, I have gotten to spend more time with my grandmother which has been wonderful. She has so many stories that I want to be able to remember and write them all down. The latest was that on her first date with my grandfather he brought her half a dozen roses and ended up taking her to meet his parents. Also he proposed to her in Rock Creek Park in DC.

Tuesday my mom had a doubles tennis match that I cheered her on at. It is really cute to see my mom get so competitive and she is so great at tennis! Wimbledon and the Olympics have me really wanting to play some tennis soon! (Shout-out to Murray for his awesome gold medal in straight sets against Fed. He still wants that Wimbledon title badly though.)

Clay courts.

This past week I also registered for my BODYPUMP Initial Training. If you don't know what Body Pump is you can check this out, but don't let it scare you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ihmtL9MIU I went back and forth on this decision for a number of reasons (it's costly and I don't want to be distracted from job searching for one second), but, in the end, it is a class I love to take, would love to teach, and it is probably the thing most responsible for keeping me motivated at this point. Hopefully between this and a yoga certification, I'll be ready to teach at a gym part-time no matter where I am living and to get a free gym membership as well:)

This weekend I am with Mike in DC and visiting friends. It promises to be a very busy weekend, but I will recap next week.

Happy Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment