Monday, August 13, 2012

How To: Not Look Like A Hot Mess For Summer Interviews

Because I have spent a lot of my time interviewing in D.C. this summer, I've wondered how people pull off dressing professionally for work each day and commuting to the office during rush hour on the metro when it is sweltering out. (Today was the first day I was on a metro so packed that I almost lost my bag to the doors.) The humidity of D.C. summers is miserable and I just can't imagine having to wear a suit most days or button downs and pants for guys. Thankfully, women have a little bit more flexibility when it comes to professional dress. I think it's a bit more complicated to find the balance of conservative and comfortable, but we definitely have some options to work with. Each time I've had to wear a suit for an interview this summer, I've learned something new that makes my next interview a little bit easier.

Some things I've learned to keep in mind:
  • Sleeveless Shirts Are Your Best Friend
    • You can't tell it a button-down is sleeveless or a tank when you are wearing a cardigan or blazer. This is where layering comes into play.  Carry your blazer or cardigan for the commute and put it on when you get to the air-conditioned office.
Sleeveless white blouse layer piece.

  • Stick with Skirts/Sheath Dresses
    • I'm normally a skirt person when it comes to professional dress anyway, but it makes much more sense in the summer to stick with skirts and dresses depending on your personal preference: always to right above the knee. Depending on the workplace you may still have to wear pantyhose, but, for me that is always preferable to pants.


Because I am loving coral right now.
  • Invest in Lightweight Fabrics/Pops of Color
    • Cotton or lightweight silk tops can be your best layering pieces. Steer away from polyester. Definitely no wool. Keep things light and airy. A little color can transition any outfit into something summery. Think a touch of coral or pastels shades. Cap sleeves or short sleeves are preferable to sleeveless for more conservative office environments, but remember a cardigan or blazer can transition any sleeveless top into office appropriate.
Lightweight tie-neck blouse.

Coral lightweight cardigan.

Pastel pink summer blazer.
  • Consider Walking Flats or Flip Flops
    • I found that when walking long distances, it can be really helpful to utilize some lightweight shoes before you get to the office and change into your heels or less comfortable footwear when you get there. I love crocs because they actually have some really cute flat styles out that would not look weird with soem outfits on the commute in and I could walk in them forever. Seriously, sometimes I feel like I could run faster in them than sneakers.
    Huge proponent of Crocs flats for commutes or everyday, just not for most workplaces. Also, I may get these for Fall.


  • Wear Hair Pulled Back
    • For women with longer or thicker hair (like me), I just think this is a must. There are so many tutorials and options for cute buns and ponytails out there, but really you just need to get it out of your face and off your neck. It makes a huge difference in hotter weather. Headbands are a good option to make buns look a little more stylish or you can always let your hair down after you get to work. I think hair pulled back is also a more professional look and helps me to look a little more experienced (older) for interviews. An anti-humidity hairspray doesn't hurt either.
    For work purposes, I think the simpler the better, but here is the basic idea.


  • Wear Light/Waterproof Makeup
    • Simple makeup is always key for the office, but you can get away with wearing a little more in the winter months. Bronzer instead of blush and gloss instead of lipstick are some suggested substitutions, but waterproof eyeliner and mascara can be your best friends in humidity.
    Neutral is best.

  • Lighten Your Fragrance
    • You don't want to be that person who announces your presence on the metro by your perfume. Lighten your fragrance in the summertime by opting for body splashes or Eau de Toilettes which offer a less concentrated fragrance. Choosing lighter, fruitier scents for the new season helps as well.
  • Give Yourself Plenty of Commute Time
    • I normally plan to arrive to any interviews or meetings at least 20 minutes early. That way I have 10-15 min to run to the bathroom and add on my blazer or switch my shoes and make sure my makeup is still in place. I also know if something in my commute doesn't go as planned, I most likely won't have to be that person who ran to their interview in 90 degree weather and showed up huffing and puffing. 15 minutes to transition to office wear and you still have 5 minutes to announce yourself early and park yourself near an air conditioner to cool off.

Any other suggestions/tips? Add them as comments! 



(Don't worry, this won't turn into a fashion blog. I don't think.)


2 comments:

  1. Kels, I approve of the fashion post. You forgot to include that you need a sister to sit with you the night before and help you pick out outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome tips. You can do the occasional fashion blog post as long as they are all as good as this one. I approve.

    ReplyDelete