Friday, February 15, 2013

My Favorite Blogs


MY FAVORITE BLOGS

So I don't know if you assumed this or if this is a totally normal thing for my age group, but I read a lot of blogs (like blogs other than my friends' blogs) on topics related to finance, fashion, fitness, cooking, writing, God, etc. There is a lot of blogging and social networking going on that actually isn't that healthy and I believe has a negative effect on women (thinspiration blogs or tumblrs, healthy living blogs that promote restriction, basically anything that makes you feel like shit). Thankfully, I think I am pretty good at wedding out the negative blogs and have found some true gems in the world online blogging.

Here are some of my favorites and why:


  • Shauna Niequist (Perspective, Grounding, Hope, Feeling Connected)
    • Well, you had to know this one was coming, but there are some days when Shauna's words are like medicine to my soul whether from book or blog.
  • Mama Pea at Peas and Thank You (Laughs, Vegan Recipes, Family Shenanigans)
    • This former lawyer, now stay-at-home mom to two young girls is hilarious! I have her first cookbook and she has another on the way. She is vegan, but makes kid-friendly meals. Also, did I mention she's hilarious?
  • Oh She Glows (Vegan Recipes, Cat Shenanigans, Positive Body Image, Fitness)
    • Angela at OSG was the first blog I read regularly. I think I've been following her blog since mid-way through college. She is sweet, an awesome baker with her own business, has a hilarious cat named Sketchie and she is ALL about loving and listening to your body which is just another reason I love this blog.
  • Kath at Kath Eats Real Food (Carnivore-Friendly Healthy Recipes)
    • I have a friend who actually met Kath, like, hung out with her on a winery tour, and we both thought it was the coolest thing ever. She's been offering less recipes as of late
  • Cara at MaskCara (Hair & Makeup Tips, Positive Body Image)
    • This is a makeup/hair blog, but Cara emphasizes that she sees intense, natural beauty in everyone. She goes without makeup on her own blog plenty of times and emphasizes loving and treating yourself.
  • LearnVest Daily (Financial Tips for Women)
    • You have to sign-up for this daily email, but there are some awesome articles for women related to money: everything from curbing spending to how to ask for a raise to how to save for retirement.
  • The Fitnessista (Carnivore-Friendly Healthy Recipes, Fitness, Fashion)
    • Lots of archived free workouts to do at home or at a gym.
  • The Bitches at Bitches who Brunch (Restaurant/Brunch Reviews in the DC area)
    • My person, Kelly, was the first person to tell me about this blog. I've gone to two brunch places they ranked highly and both of them were awesome so now I trust them. (Side story: I babysat the other weekend for a couple and was talking to the mom about restaurants in DC and we both found out we read this blog and had a moment together about how much we loved it.) 
Now on to President's Day weekend!

Update: I wanted to add two sites that I wasn't sure were blogs, but that I read regularly like blogs.

http://www.xojane.com/ : I go to this website when I need to laugh. The writers have awesome Downton Abbey re-caps (RIP Season 3) and they make me feel like it's okay to be imperfect. xoJane makes me feel like it's okay to not always make excuses for myself, to be bitchy sometimes, and to not be afraid to look at things realistically.

and

http://www.raptitude.com/ : Guilty pleasure for the counselor and sociology nerd in me. I'm still not exactly sure what his site is all about, but I love it all.

The youngest sister introduced me to both of them proving, once again, that she is way cooler than I am.

New post coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment