Monday, October 7, 2013

Building

I've been assigned to 'set crew' for the show. In the show, everyone gets assigned to a 'crew' to get done all of the things (in addition to the actual performances) that actually have to get done to make a show happen. There are a lot of 'things' like costumes, lighting, finding props, doing hair and makeup, and.....building the set. These responsibilities are all split up between the cast and production crew. Jeff is the master carpenter (boss) and usually brings coffee and munchkin donuts for us which make it way easier for me to wake up early to get there. (#willworkformunchkins) I'm not going to lie, I thought I would hate building stuff and would also be useless. I've found, though, that I get the same relaxing zen-like high from building things that I do from working out. Like group fitness, I feel like I'm a part of a team and I also feel really productive. There are many days at work where I feel like I have nothing tangible to show for my 8 hours, but at set crew, I always have something to 'show' and something to check off our list. Doing some of the scarier things (like using a chop saw by yourself) can be really empowering. As empowering and as fun as it is, I also feel a bit of sad nostalgia working around power tools and sawdust.

My dad made a living doing construction. He started out working for other people and then started his own business that specialized in home remodeling and additions, mostly small projects that he could do by himself and the way that he wanted. He wanted to do things 'right' and of high quality. When we were little, I remember my sisters and I spending many weekends on job sites and helping my dad out, learning names of tools and materials, and taking trips to Home Depot. We actually kinda loved the trips to Home Depot and Lowes. Even though my dad tried to keep us close by, we'd always try to hurry him to our favorite sections: the lights/chandeliers aisle, and the bed/bathroom model section. We would always play house in the 'model' section. My dad was very particular about the way he built things and very smart. I think I get my perfectionist side from him, but I did not get his math skills. I would be in awe of the way he could do all of the math related to building something in his head. He just got geometry and the way things fit together naturally. With 3 daughters, my dad was completely outnumbered by women in our family. Because I know us, I know how difficult that can be at times, but I don't think he minded one bit. Yes, he was happy to teach us the value of hard work and teach us some things about construction or yard work or the way things work. We have this inside joke about my dad when we went to Disney once as a family and his favorite part of the ENTIRE park was the Swiss Family Robinson tree house where he was completely entranced by "How do they get this steel to look like bamboo?" and how the constructed the tree to look so realistic. That was him.

Sometimes Mike reminds me about the best parts of my dad. Like: When he gets all excited about a new project and researches it to the point of exhaustion....When he tries to put my extremely large set of car keys (so I don't lose them) into his pocket, but they hang out and jingle when he walks... (My dad always wore his keys clipped to a belt loop.) When he is right about something (or I am wrong) and he gets a little smug about having taught me something new....Oh my goodness! He gets so excited about teaching me new things....about stuff I don't care that much about....like sound....and space. 

I speak about my dad in the past tense because he and I haven't really had a stable relationship since I graduated in college. My parents divorced my junior year of college and it wasn't really the divorce that was so bad for our family as the way it dragged on and on and all of the things that have happened since then. I will spare you the details with the point being that sometimes I get nostalgic for the dad that I knew. It's not necessarily a sad nostalgia because it's honestly nice to be able to remember things the way they were. He was a wonderful dad and I'm glad that building things has given me an opportunity to feel closer to that part of my past.


No comments:

Post a Comment