Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Vocab Lessons

Turns out that being a part of a community theater production is a bit of a language and cultural immersion. I thought I was already fully immersed! But, no, because here is a list of new terms I have started hearing and using (and probably improperly)...

Note: This is what I have assumed things to mean. I do not ask questions about what these things mean while they're being said because I don't want to be the obvious Newb.

  • Call 
    • Definition: This is basically the time when you have to be somewhere. 
    • Use it in a sentence: Me: "When should I ask off work during show week?" Stage Manager: "Calls generally range from 6-7pm."
  • Sitzprobe
    • Definition: Hmmm...a seated rehearsal with the orchestra. Basically. Though I don't think actors are seated, just the orchestra. 
    • Use it in a sentence: It was during our first sitzprobe rehearsal that the show really started to come alive with sound.
  • Stumblethrough
    • Definition: You walk through the entire show without knowing all of it to get an idea for pacing and staging issues.
    • Use it in a sentence: My ego is still trying to recover from stumblethrough.
  • Singthrough
    • Definition: The first time you sing through the entire show with the cast.
    • Use it in a sentence: Can we sit besides each other at singthrough so that I can hear what the notes are suppose to be?
  • "Thank you, ____"
    • Definition: It's this reply people say when they've been given a 5/10 minute warning. 
    • Use it in a sentence: Someone important: "5 minutes, people!" The people who know what they're doing: "Thank you, five." Me: ........
  • Chest voice
    • Definition: Singing from your chest. 
    • Use it in a sentence: When someone belts, they're using their chest voice.
  • Head voice
    • Definition: Basically singing falsetto outside of your chest voice range.
    • Use it in a sentence: I have to go up to head voice for the high notes.
Here's hoping I'm less obvious than I feel!

Also: I was not feeling particularly well yesterday and took the day off from work. I feel so much better today so it just goes to show you that sometimes listening to your mind/body and taking a day off to do nothing is exactly what's needed to get back on track. 


No comments:

Post a Comment