Monday, September 17, 2012

Hello Fall!

Okay so maybe Fall still technically isn't here quite yet, but DC's weather definitely did the switch last week. Just the slight change in weather is an instant boost to my mood. My youngest sister started to make fun of me for my excitement last week saying "Are you one of those girls who won't stop talking about pumpkin in the fall?" Um, yes. That's me. And that's why I was forced to make pumpkin pancakes this weekend.

Easy Pumpkin Pancakes: 
  • one batch of pancake mix  prepared according to the box (I used TJ's multigrain)
  • mix in some pumpkin puree from a can until the mixture is pretty orange-y in color (I used 1/2 a can per 2 cups of dry mix that went into the recipe)
  • add pumpkin pie spice or just cinnamon if you don't have any 
Pluses: chocolate chips mixed in the batter before cooking and REAL maple syrup

I also celebrated Fall with two runs this weekend! Because when the weather is this nice, I can't not run. It's really good for my workout routine. Besides the awesome weather, this weekend also just rocked in general.

Friday Night: I've not yet adjusted to how exhausted I am on Friday evenings. I just have zero energy after the work week and it's so hard for me to motivate myself to hang out and not immediately go to sleep. Welcome to adulthood. However, Selena was in town! So wimping out was not allowed. Mike and I met up with Will and Selena on H Street for a late dinner at a Moroccan restaurant called Souk. Conclusion: over-priced, not enough food, they did the falafel wrong. But I was so hungry it didn't matter. Afterwards, Will took us back to his brand-new super trendy apartment building. It's like one of those buildings you see in movies. The most important feature of this complex was the free espresso machine in the lobby. Just what I needed! That cappuccino saved the night.

See, I told you!


Saturday: The 10k running group (Mike, Kelly, Alex, and I) went for a run and Mike found an office chair for free that he proceeded to run with all the way back to his apartment. Incentives for running! Then Mike, Jeff, and I got burritos from Chinito's Burritos on Florida Avenue.....my new favorite Mexican spot in DC! It's actually Mexican-Asian fusion, but, when you go (because you must), you have to try to Tex-Mex egg rolls and the Szechuan slaw. Mike and I also hit up the H Street festival for a little while (we really shouldn't have eaten before going there) where there were tons of artists, shows, and ample opportunities for dog watching.

Sunday: After another morning run, the pumpkin pancakes happened, and I saw the Redskins lose a sad sad game. Well RG3 did what he could. Then Kelly came over to see my new place and have me some new place decorating tips which I have summarized here: ( Tip 1: Ikea, Tip 2: Pinterest).

I was supposed to head to the Bon Iver concert with my sister on Saturday night (she found out Friday night that she had an extra ticket), but I have been fighting off some virus for the past couple of days and wasn't feeling well. This was bound to happen at the start of the school year since I work with students, but I'm drinking tea and taking vitamins like it's my job so I'm not giving up without a fight. 

This Saturday is my first weekend shift at work (8am-2pm) so I'm hoping it's an easy coffee-drinking and catching up on paperwork kind of day. I think it's worth it to have next Monday off of work!





1 comment:

  1. I'm all about the pumpkin, too. And hay bale mazes. And I should be home soon!!! Probably early November! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete