Saturday, July 13, 2013

Wimbledon and the Fourth

Christmas and New Years are my favorite holidays (Thanksgiving is close behind). And when Absi posted in her blog that we are halfway to Christmas, I was incredibly excited to have her permission to look forward to that season. However, my favorite holiday week is definitely Wimbledon & the Fourth of July. I'll combine them because they often occur within a week of each other and I tend to turn it into a week of celebrating.

The Fourth

I have so many memories of fireworks and eating watermelon (does anyone else eat it salted?) on Independence Day. Growing up in a rural area, seeing the local county-sponsored fireworks show was more of a social obligation to catch up with friends over the summer. I think Independence Day has grown into one of my favorite holidays because I love reflecting on how and why our nation was founded. I think, especially in DC (but also everywhere these days), it can be easy to get caught up in the political game that is getting played and everything that is going wrong in our country. I like to think about when our country was young and feisty and newborn and how our founding was pretty badass. (Reminder to self that I STILL need to read 1776.)

Anyway, this Fourth of July Mike and I spent most of the day at an awesome brunch hosted at Kelly's place in Arlington. We had patriotic-themed foods and drinks, watched the (historic) hot-dog eating contest and two rounds of National Treasure, and played a game that involved cards and hand-eye coordination which I immediately lost and Mike eventually won. After brunch, Mike and I originally had plans to go see fireworks that evening but (since we both had to work in the morning), ended up watching Game of Thrones all night and making a dinner of hamburgers, sweet potato fries, and ice cream/berries. It was a perfect, relaxing Independence Day evening and I think Game of Thrones is the perfect opportunity to reflect on the many freedoms we take for granted, anyway!

The whole group (Matt, Cori, Alex, Me, Mike, Jake, Marilyn) minus our photographer/host, Kelly.

Our drink options. Mike also invented the "John Quincy Adams" which was pineapple juice, champagne, raspberries.

Wimbledon & A Very Social Sunday

Wimbledon is a Grand Slam tennis tournament held each year outside of London. The tournament has a long history and many customs and traditions. The drama is always intense and addictive as is the level of tennis played. Last year, Mike and I had only been dating for a few months when I forced him to watch the championship match with me and we had delicious goat cheese and tomato sandwiches with ripe cantaloupe. I remember crying when Andy Murray lost and got choked up during his consolation speech. Wanting to share the magic of Wimbledon, I invited a few people over for a viewing party on Championship Sunday for breakfast and tennis. Mike and I had researched Brit foods and got really into it. He made a Pimm's cup cocktail recipe similar to this and apparently this is all they drink at Wimbledon. We also made cucumber sandwiches (addicting and why have I  never made them before?), breakfast casserole, and strawberries & cream. The whipped cream from the strawberries was hand-whipped by us and a lot of work, but worth it. Kelly also brought the most delicious berry scones (I'll have to pick up that mix from Trader Joe's next time I'm there).

Pimm's, cucumber sandwiches, tennis in the background. Photo credit: Alex.

It was such an intense match and so much fun getting to enjoy it with other people (especially because Murray won and ended a 77-year long Brit (male) champion drought!). 

After the match ended, Mike and I went to meet Brian and Kay who had a layover at Union Station. We introduced them to YoSushi and talked a lot of theater and started to plan our trip to Philly to visit them! I also became super envious of Kay's striped maxi skirt.

Then we went to a surprise party for Steph for her birthday/"Niceness Intervention" because (paraphrased per Josh's emails planning the event) "she is way too nice and it makes the rest of us look bad". There was lots of Firefly-watching, cake-eating, and we played a game similar to Mafia where I was 'spy' and Mike immediately knew I was after the first round of play and told everyone I was. Only time will heal the trust that was broken that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment