Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Sundays.

I love Sundays so much. It's always been my favorite day of the week and sometimes I forget why, but this past Sunday morning I remembered. I had the sudden urge to make french toast. (We had to take Rupert to the vet this afternoon, and you need your strength for that.)

So french toast. Growing up, Sunday was always the day we would wake up to smells coming from the kitchen: maple syrup or eggs or gravy and coffee. Saturday was a toss up because we had a lot of cheerleading practices and other extracurricular activities, but Sunday was always church day and so breakfast as a family happened. Along with the wonderful breakfast smells, there was also always music in the background. I've gotten so used to laptops being the only way to play music, that I almost forget what it sounds like over a nice speaker system, but it sounded wonderful. Probably 70% of the time, it was bluegrass music. That's what my grandfather, and consequently my mother, grew up playing and singing and so my sisters and I grew up listening to it. The other 30% of the time it was some sort of religious music. But it always set the tone for the day. There was also always light streaming in through the kitchen window which faced the East.

Sun rays and music and good smells.

I keep trying to tell Mike that my strongest memories are stored as music. Food/smell are probably close seconds, but music undoubtedly wins out. Mike recently made (created/built/crafted) a speaker system. I gave him a pretty hard time about this project. Because I'm pretty sure his alternative project plan was to build his own computer and speaker was definitely the cheaper option, I tried not to give him too hard of a time (even when he did use our dishwashing sponge as a 'soldering sponge'). I still never saw the point of the speakers because we have our laptop and TV speakers. When they were finished, we may have started playing some Christmas music (Mike will be gone during the majority of acceptable Christmas music season!) and listening to the great quality made me nostalgic for Sundays growing up.

I like things with meaning and this is why I'm so glad it worked out for us to get married on a Sunday. We will definitely have lots of good food, music, and although we'll be short on the sunshine on the shortest day of the year, we'll have lots of family love to make up for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment