Monday, November 17, 2014

Being Seen

“There's nothing more daring than showing up, putting ourselves out there and letting ourselves be seen.” - Brené Brown

This past weekend, I got to hang out with some of my closest girl friends from high school and college. These are girls who have seen me in some of my best and worst moments, who still see some of those worst moments, and who love and accept me regardless. I hate being the center of attention. I don't like opening presents in front of other people. I don't like feeling exposed. However, that's exactly what love is. It's showing up and letting ourselves be seen. It's being brave enough to let our defenses down, to be imperfect and vulnerable with each other, and embracing that. 

I know how deep Mike's love is for me because in the past (almost) 3 years, he has seen every kind of Kels there is, and he has committed to embracing every aspect of her, no matter where she is in her evolution. Love is a commitment, and I see that commitment reflected in my closest friendships and in my own family. I can't tell you how healing it is to be seen and loved....I only hope to return to the favor in the future, but I have really great role models for it.

While Mike is at ODS, I plan to share more of my first experiences of what it feels like to be a significant other to someone in the military. I also hope to share pictures that Mike shares with me while at ODS (when he can). And then I'm just going to share my adventures in wedding planning and holiday merriment. But instead of hiding my vulnerabilities during this time, I'm going to let them be seen:)

“As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” ~Marianne Williamson

1 comment: