Monday, December 8, 2014

Vignettes from ODS #2

Hi Guys! Here is a little Monday treat to start off the week. I'm hoping to get a picture post in later this week and to tell a few of my own stories while Mike has been away, but here is a quick rundown!


  • I PR-ed in a Christmas 5k this weekend, which means I ran my fastest time in a 5k since senior year of college. 
  • I only have 3ish Christmas presents left to buy and wrap.
  • I tasted our coconut/almond cake this weekend and promptly ordered a bigger cake. (I believe it is the MOST delicious wedding cake I've ever tasted.)
  • I don't have my dress in hand yet and it's #notmyfault......
  • I'm a little crazed at the moment with odds and ends left to do before the wedding....
  • I went out with a group of my girl friends for a 10-course tiny-plate dinner in DC and it was pretty much the "coolest" thing I've ever done.
  • I went on a Michael's errand with Kelly this weekend to get craft supplies for a wedding craft and, let me just say now, that any friend who goes to Michael's with you on a Saturday 3 weekends before Christmas while it is raining cats and dogs is....the best friend ever. 
  • My roommate, Alex, and friend, Steph, are THE people you want in your inner circle if you are ever planning a celebration of any kind and if your fiance is gone. Previously mentioned 'craft' was fully completed in one morning by Alex and I'm in awe of those women.

Now we'll let Mike take it away!.....


"Rack Attack"

The names of everything have been changed to reflect their ship counterparts. This is to train us for being on ships, even though most of us will never be on a ship. A floor is a deck, a door is a hatch, a bedroom is a berthing, a bed is a rack, and so on. Unfitted sheets are issued for the racks, and you are expected to make your racks perfectly with 45 degree 'hospital corners' every day. What this means is that everyone sleeps on top of their sheets and tries to smooth them out in the morning. Our class team knows this. Occasionally after coming back from an activity, our racks will be 'tossed,' which means that we did not hold up our end of the bargain in the rack-making charade and so we must try again. One day all of our racks were tossed because some people left objects on their desks when they went to class. This is a big no-no, and we paid with our bodies and souls as chief made us alternate between penitent pushups and timed rack re-making. Our racks and berthings have been basically perfect since then.

All of this is to say that you may be expecting me to make a perfect bed when I get back. I can do that, but then no one is allowed to sleep in it. Just on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment