Monday, November 4, 2013

Update


Halloween

Last weekend (the one before this past one) Mike was out of town at a mock trial tournament being an all star so I took Ben as my date to the cast Halloween party. He was Doctor Who (specifically the Matt Smith version) and I was Amelia Pond. I don't have red hair so Ben was basically our costume. 


Ben, Justine, and I

Doctor Who and Amelia Pond

More show people


Zoolander & I
Person Date

The same weekend Mike was out of town, Kelly and I had a person date of shopping downtown followed by dinner at Bistro D'Oc. Whereas Mike and I ALWAYS order separate things when we go out to eat to maximize our ability to try different dishes, Kelly and I often order the same thing because that's how we are. Twins. We got the caesar salad and french onion soup with a glass of chardonnay. The easiest patrons ever. Also, it may not sound like much, but I assure you the french onion soup is to die for and if you're addicted to REAL caesar salads like I am, it is not one to pass up. 

Our table

Baby Ashton

As I write this blog post, my sister is currently in labor and I'm being texted a play-by-play from my mom. Courtney found out last week she was going to be induced this Monday because she had started dilating and apparently she is progressing very quickly. JUST YESTERDAY she drove into DC to pick up one of the father's sister from the train station and then walked around to the monuments a little. I've been so incredibly in awe of her throughout the entire pregnancy and I can't wait to see my new nephew! I may try to run home on Saturday before the evening show to see him. Big week around here.

Show Week!

It's the Monday of show week which means a dress rehearsal tonight and tomorrow, then 4 nights of shows. Then we're done. I've already started to get a little sad about it being over. Only 6 times of doing the show before we're done?! It seems a little unfair, but I know I will probably be exhausted and ready to be done when the week is over. We have been so crazy busy and had no free time at all (which, frankly, I had missed being this busy since grad school ended). I'm trying to remain mindful throughout this week and appreciate my time being on the stage. I always remember myself being someone to shy away from the spotlight so I don't really know if I'll ever get this chance to be in it again. I want to remember everything about this experience and really feel comfortable being seen, being loud, being heard, performing. 

Everything is finally starting to come together. We have transitions mapped, costumes were debuted last night, and lights are in place. There are still a lot of little things that we haven't figured out, though, and this being my first show, it feels really scary. Apparently, this always happens. You always feel like it will never come together and then it does. But I just don't have my own experience to trust. I will trust Mike and Josh, though. They have down enough shows and Josh sent me this quote from Shakespeare in Love this morning:

Philip Henslowe: Mr. Fennyman, allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster.
Hugh Fennyman: So what do we do?
Philip Henslowe: Nothing. Strangely enough, it all turns out well.
Hugh Fennyman: How?
Philip Henslowe: I don't know. It's a mystery.

So, I will trust the process and the team. And I will trust myself. I learned a few days ago that three of my closest friends from high school (although we live further apart now and it's harder to see each other regularly) are carpooling in to see the show together. My sister is also driving in from West Virginia with her boyfriend which is so far away and then they are driving all the way back to Virginia that night. I have lots of coworkers who are coming and Mike's family and I'm just really excited to have this shared experience with all of them.

Besides all of the feelings, this week will also involve lots of caffeine, lots of nerves, lots of makeup and damage to my hair, and not a lot of sleep. But, bring it on:)


1 comment:

  1. Can we please go to Bistro D'Oc together?! That looks amazing!

    So sad I missed the Halloween party :(-- I was out of town, too. :(

    Can't believe we go up TOMORROW!

    ReplyDelete